How do you get GF bread? Well, you can either make it, or you can buy it. When you buy it from the store, it's frozen. So your immediate need for an amazing sandwich MUST wait until it has thawed, which is usually overnight in the fridge.
Something bothers me about purchasing frozen sandwich bread... I can buy the frozen GF hot dog buns from Udi's and keep it in the fridge and wait.
![]() |
| Go here to get some... and check out the rest of their site! |
... but I just haven't tried their bread yet for some reason. I would rather bake it.
![]() |
| Go here to get some! |
I picked up their bread mix and told Hubs that I was going to make him some bread.
So I did... we don't have a bread maker, so I used the conventional oven directions. For the oil, I used olive oil, not butter. I didn't happen to have any good butter to use in it at the time, so I knew it was going to be a slightly different taste and won't be sweet... better for oils and pepper; your typical taste for italian breads.
If you have never made your own bread at home, DO IT. The smell itself is so worth it.
This bread was pretty good... excellent to eat on it's own, or with butter on it. Hubs had some with peanut butter on it and also used a couple pieces for french toast, which he says tasted amazing. He also attempted to have the amazing sandwich, that I have been aching for, using this bread and the bread falls apart.
This appears to be a complaint that most GF'ers suffer from... the bread falls apart. With no wheat gluten in there, the bread is just not as pliable as we want it to be, and how other $.99 cent bread at the store is.
Other than that, it kept wonderfully in my fridge. I didn't have a bread case or anything like that, so I wrapped it in plastic wrap and shoved it in the fridge. We ate the last of it 5 days later... and it was still very good. It was starting to get a little dry at that point.
This was an excellent beginner homemade bread. The mix was easy.



No comments:
Post a Comment